UV light and Contact Frame

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 09/27/01-01:14:18 AM Z

I forgot to say yesterday that P-F #6 has an article on "Light Carpentry"
(& I admit to some pride in the title): four UV light systems with
instructions to build, most requiring only light carpentry skills (such as
mine own).

Jarek Mirkowicz gets the romance prize: "My first experience with the
beauty parlor lamp was preparing gelatin matrixes for underground
bulletins against the communist regime in my country" (Poland). His
current design folds up compactly for storage.

Nick Makris made his from off-the-shelf parts, except for the bulbs,
which he jiggered for stronger light for platinum.

I show my first REALLY basic system as a thumbnail & the new improved
"reversible" version in photographs with glass in "open" and "closed"
position.

Bob Schramm's brainstorm is a set of mercury vapor arc lights hung high
enough on the garage ceiling to cover an area 6 feet square (tho exposure
is hours). Bob, nuclear physicist, explains difference bet. sodium &
mercury vapor bulbs -- both are yard lights, but one works for our
purposes, the other doesn't.

And, speaking of CONTACT FRAMES: last year I sold my supersized $224
custom built contact frame -- on this list as a matter of fact. It was a
thing of beauty (Great Basin) but NOT as practical & easy to use (at least
for a weak woman) as a simple plate glass sandwich, which lets really
large paper stick out the ends, and doesn't require the MUSCLE those
heavy-duty springs do. Contact, especially with a weight on top, is at
least as good, maybe better.

Don Bryant's customized version of the Edwards construction plans
(he improved design of ventilation slots, etc.) is in Issue #5. He also
covered it with formica, if you could believe.

cheers,

Judy