Spectral density negatives, again

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 04/10/02-01:58:39 PM Z

Kerik Kouklis wrote:

> For the effect I am after, my gum exposures are typically about 1/2 the
> time of my platinum exposures. Even when I do a strait gum, if I try the
> same exposure I use for a platinum print, the gum will be overexposed.

Yes, it would be expected as you report that a negative of whatever type
would print faster on gum than on platinum, but that's not the question
at issue here. I'm talking about spectral density negatives that print
on gum, even at very short exposures, as if there were no negative there
at all, resulting in a rectangle of hardened colored gum with no image
in it. This observation of my own, added to my understanding of David's
problem in printing pyro negatives on gum (what ever happened to David,
anyway?) led me to speculate that in one or both of these cases, the
negative may simply not be adequately blocking the relevant wavelengths
for gum. However, if people are printing good gum prints from pyro
negatives, that rather puts a crimp in my speculations, at least as they
relate to pyro. Could I see one of those straight (not gum over
platinum) gum prints from a pyro negative? Thanks,
kt