Re: photography and painting

From: Cactus Cowboy (cactus@tritel.net)
Date: 04/10/02-09:33:11 PM Z

When I lived in the desolate, third-world backwaters of New Jersey during
the eighties and nineties, I taught myself gum printing and cyanotype merely
by reading Crawford's "The Keepers of Light" and following the instructions
therein. After a few months of practice, I was creating beautiful, highly
detailed gum prints. I remember visiting a gallery in Manhattan to see gum
prints made by a NYC photographer; the first gum prints other than my own
that I'd ever seen. The work was horrible - muddy and soft pictures of
banal subject matter. I then visited The Art Museum at Princeton University
in 1992 to view a show entitled "The Art of Pictorial Photography
1890-1925". There were a handful of gum prints on display that were
absolutely stunning. Work by Edward Steichen and Hugo Henneberg was
especially inspiring. Seeing this exciting work (done nearly 100 years
ago!) really opened my eyes to what was possible with alternative
photographic processes.

All due respect to the talented and dedicated academicians on this list, but
it's really not necessary to spend big bucks to attend seminars and college
courses. Most of what you need to know can be found in books, and yes, this
list provides a wealth of information as well.

Best regards,
Dave Rose
Powell, Wyoming