Re: heat drying Re: Platinum respirator

From: Tom Ferguson (tomf2468@pipeline.com)
Date: 04/11/02-08:29:03 AM Z

When I said "heat", I meant my "heat"!

When I "heat" something, it is with a hair drier and I suspect at least 110
degree F. I don't have a heat chamber (sounds great, but I would need a
bigger darkroom). Come to think of it, I do need a bigger darkroom!

So, yes, your points are valid. 80 degree F might be a good thing, 90
degrees might be. That I can't answer. But, for the typical user in the
typical darkroom, I would be concerned with "typical heat drying" (a hair
drier) for anything except platinum and suggest everyone do a quick test in
your own working methods/situations. Remember to allow time for the heated
paper to return to ambient humidity before printing.

Except gum, give up all "heat" hope with gum, just dry it at room temp (65
to 80 degree F seem reasonable).

In fact, someone mentioned "cooking" gum (damaging it) from the heat in
their exposure unit. My gums have been a lot more consistent since I added a
small fan to my UV bank. It doesn't take a lot of airflow to keep mine cool
:-)

--
Tom Ferguson
http://www.ferguson-photo-design.com