Now I'm up to 4?

From: Jack Fulton (jfulton@itsa.ucsf.edu)
Date: 08/21/02-10:43:42 AM Z

  What Judy writes is quite subjectively true and honest and based upon many
years (oh, come on, not 100) of experience. Yet, all of us, hold such
subjective truths. Perhaps it might be wise to learn to be a lawyer but my
"hope" has been for there to be four "R's": Readin, wRitin, aRithmetic and
aRt. If Art were as seriously taught as fundamental to what it is to be
sentient being, I truly believe we'd ALL be better off for it. So, screw
those lawyers.

  Maybe it is the way I was brought up, perhaps the country environment I
grew up in (Marin County . . now very elite and sub-urban(e) ). It might
have been my teachers in high school, who were fantastic, or the
equivalently interesting folks I went through school with. Perhaps it was
the period of Beatniks (seeing Ginsberg getting arrest . . and Lenny Bruce
too .. for saying 'fuck' in public), or Eric Hoffer, or being a hippie or UC
Berkely's Free Speech or, or KennedyKingXKenddedy assasinations, the VN war
. . who the .... knows. But, to be understanding and liberal and as one ages
to know we all basically experience the same stuff but react differently has
made me one of those teachers who crit with positive notions and
semi-critical words at times. I am more interested in how each individual
sees life as it is experienced and how manifestations of what they thik are
presented. I wish to encourage them to pursue the field of Art because I
wholly believe it is the only thing in this world that is worth a shit. The
rest of it is commerce . . well, I don't mean to toss out family nor love
nor love of Nature . . but, they inform the Art.
  And, Judy, I know how you are about those nudes and Ed etc. and there has,
indeed been history prior about all that . . it was that I feel Ed's work
can be seen in the light of objectivity. He was interesting to me for his
subjective objectivity. Or, is that objective subjectivity? Photography is
good at that if one has no fear to practice and don't hide that under the
guise or mire of pretension.
  These conversations are good for this list . . some ultimately become
tired of it because they wish the super tech tricky truths of alternative
methodology . . but to me a good round about wandering conversation amongst
us all is one healthy jolt for the mind and aids the search for the how and
the why in alternative methodology.
Jack Fulton