RE: Postmodernism and "The Oracle"

From: Keith Gerling (keithgerling@att.net)
Date: 08/22/02-09:13:43 PM Z

-----Original Message-----
From: Keith Gerling [mailto:keithgerling@att.net]
Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2002 9:23 PM
To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
Subject: RE: Postmodernism and "The Oracle"

-----Original Message-----
From: Jonathan Bailey [mailto:quryhous@midcoast.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2002 7:18 PM
To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
Subject: Postmodernism and "The Oracle"

Sandy, are you aware of an annual gathering called "The Oracle"?? It is a
gathering of curators from most of the major museums concerning themselves
with photography today. As I understand it, something on the order of a few
dozen people attend each year for several days of communing.... It's held in
a different - usually pretty agreeable - location each year - and it seems
nothing if not chummy. Discussions apparently center around what's in and
what's out photographically - as well as, no doubt, *who*....

Now I don't want to seem cynical, but....

Feel free to draw your own conclusions.

Best - Jon
www.jonathan-bailey.com
Tenants Harbor, Maine

Jon, I'm very interested in "The Oracle". Could you please elaborate? I
don't want to seem cynical, either, but do you have any evidense it exists?

Thanks

I should clarify: my interest in this is totally Off Topic. I have a friend
who is doing graduate research in the area of what she calls "power
summits", a sometimes mythical and always secret and sinister "meeting of
the rule-makers", the goal of which is too conspire to "fix" or "arrange"
things such as prices, skirt-lengths, fat-content - all those things that We
the Helpless Saps are expected to think are factors governed by the
marketplace. In any event, she would be delighted to find that the artworld
is also victim to this manipulation. Or that people think that it is!

Thanks again,

Keith