Re: MFA worth it . . I'd say so

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 08/22/02-09:19:12 PM Z

On Thu, 22 Aug 2002 photo@lesliebauer.com wrote:

> Highly recommend getting an MFA.

I highly agree -- one of the 3, 4, or 5 best things I've done in life. And
frankly, it occurs to me to ask -- if you've been thinking of going for an
MFA, who tells you it's not worth it? Anyone who has one? Or someone who
doesn't?

To elaborate the point -- I started grad school simply because I didn't
know & had never known another photographer, and photography is a VERY
communal exercise. I don't mean you work together or even about the same
thing, I mean the information you need & want about sources, services &
materials is so complex, and can be so specialized & hard to track down
that odds of finding it as a sole isolated practitioner, however savvy &
talented, are small.

Even pro photographers on this list can lack a key piece of information
outside their specialty. I often get a call -- or make a call -- seeking a
certain item or service. How does one meet such photographers? Hang out at
the Empire State Building? Or go to school where there are professors who
know a LOT, and a cohort learning and sharing. Today my best friends are
those I met in that environment or indirectly through it.

I'll add that as much as I loved teaching, the one better thing was being
a student: the professor's JOB is to feed you, and YOUR job is to do your
art. Ah, bliss.

Judy