Re: VDB vs. Argyrotypes

From: Sandy King (sanking@CLEMSON.EDU)
Date: 12/03/02-08:21:42 AM Z

Darryl wrote:

>I'm a happy argyrotypists. I use Cranes papers primarily (cheap!),
>with the extra sulphamic acid boost for better contrast from my
>negs. Negs come from a variety of sources... Polaroid 665, Arista
>enlarged negs and Tri-X Pro. I'm beginning to work with Burkholder
>inkjet negs on Pictorio after the first of the year for a
>workshop/class in summer. I air dry or heat with an iron to
>neutralize the brown color a wee bit. Paper makes a huge difference
>according to the tests I did last winter.
>
>-Darryl

I have worked with argyrotype on several occasions but found it to be
much trickier to work than vandyke and traditional kallitype, and I
found it to be extremely paper sensitive. If you are getting good
results it would be nice if you could post a brief outline of your
specific working procedures, and perhaps some comments about what
argyrotype offers that vandyke and kallitype do not.

Sandy King