Re: VDB vs. Argyrotypes

From: Alan (mcraea@wlu.edu)
Date: 12/03/02-08:52:10 AM Z

I tried Argyrotype for the first time last week, and I really liked the
results. The sensitivity of the process to paper humidity was interesting.
I used the (expensive) Buxton paper that Ware recommends. In mixing the
sensitizer solution I was a bit short on Ferric Ammonium Citrate (22g was
needed), so instead I used 20g of Ferric Ammonium Citrate and 2g of Ferric
Ammonium Oxalate. Not being a seasoned Kallitypist I did not know that I
was going to create some Silver Oxalate which would then precipitate out of
solution (its a yellow precipitate). However, the sensitizer sill worked
great, perhaps because I used it all within two days of mixing it. I did
not make any other changes to Ware1s formulation.

Because some of the sensitized papers were placed in a humid environment
prior to exposure, I used a 1 mil mylar sheet between the paper and the
negative in order to protect the negative. My light source was a 1000W
mercury halide lamp. Exposure times were usually around 4 minutes.

The film was 11x14 BPF, developed in Pyrocat-HD (some development times were
as long as 18 minutes at 72 degrees).