Re: How to reduce paper contrast of cyanotypes

rurmonas@senet.com.au
Date: 12/05/02-07:40:17 AM Z

Thanks to Shannon and Sam for replying.

My simple densitometer indicates a Dmax around 1.6. I find it prints
well on multicontrast paper with no MC filters.

I have tried a range of papers and get a required Dmax of about 1.2
(step 9 on a 24 step wedge is just white). I have not found any
Whatmans paper locally, but may try interstate suppliers if I find
I cannot get the results otherwise.

Is double coating relevant given that I use a foam brush? The maximum
blue of my cyanotype is quite dark.

I shall try the vinegar. I assume your dilutions of 1:5 are using
a cheap table vinegar, rather than an acetic acid intended for chemical
use. Is that right? I should also try some other acids. Are there any
which give a particularly nice tone ? Any I should avoid ?

Thank you once again for the assistance.

Richard

---
Richard Urmonas
rurmonas@senet.com.au