Re: visualizing; mixing D-76

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 12/15/02-02:42:56 PM Z

Shannon,

In making this kind of visualizing device you have the option of
making is same size or smaller. So do one of the following.

Cut a frame in the mask the exact size of your 8X10 negative. Then
attach two pieces of cord to the frame, one just below the middle of
the mask when held on the horizontal, another just below the middle
of the masks when the orientation is on the vertical. Now mark the
string for lenses you have. For a 12" lens, mark the cords 12" from
the edge of the mask, for an 8" lens mark the cords 8 inches from the
frame, etc. To use, place the cord between your teeth for the lens in
question and hold the frame and look through one of your eyes. What
you will see will correspond very closely to the image on the
groundglass as it would appear if it were at the exact place of the
frame.

You can make the frame smaller, say 4X5 and use it for 8X10 by
marking the cord for .5X the real distance of the focal length, i.e.
at 6" for a 12" lens. This will give you the same view as if using
the full size frame with the marking at 12".

Sandy