Re: Carbon Printing

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 02/01/02-02:18:21 PM Z

On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, Sandy King wrote:
> In fact there was carbon printing in the US long before Dr. Robert
> Green was born. One can find any number of American texts from the
> late 19th and early 20th century that clearly establish that carbon
> was rather widely practiced during this period. See for example A.M.
> Marton's excellent book on carbon, The Modern Methods of Carbon
> Printing, published in Bloomington, Illinois in 1905. And carbon
> continued to be used, especially for high quality color prints, until
> the 1950s.

Which leads me to the shelf and The Gennert Photographic Library CARBON
PRINTING by William Weston,1896. The Gennert company was at 24 & 26 East
13th Street, NYC. The book promises "full, Lucid Explanations for
Producing Pictures on Glass, Celluloid, Opal, Ivory, etc., in three parts
and Twenty-Four Chapters.

The price written on the flyleaf in pencil is $5, so I suppose that's what
I paid, tho it WAS a long time ago & the thing is falling apart. There's
also a signature, "F. P. King."

However, I note that the book is based on using prepared tissue, in this
case -- surprise -- tissue sold by the firm of G. Gennert, NY, who "always
have a stock of cut sizes for the convenience of their trade." If memory
serves, Dr. Green was also selling tissue, tho his was imported from
Europe. Ultimately it proved too old & wasn't working well, again if I
recall reports of the time correctly.

Finally, how-to-make-your-own-carbon-tissue arrived, I think on this very
list. Who was that from, Sandy... you?

cheers,

Judy