RE: Magic Brush

From: Kerik Kouklis (Kerik@Kerik.com)
Date: 02/02/02-12:29:13 PM Z

> Sometimes I think we alt printers really make much ado about nothing.

Since you haven't used the Richeson brush, I don't see how you can say this.
Good for you that you like your Hake brushes. Rock on with those. I've
coated platinum with glass rods and just about every type of brush
imaginable including many type of Hakes. Everyone I've turned onto the
Richeson brush loves it. Until you've tried it, it's hard to describe it's
unique qualities. You can brush forever without abrasion and NEVER will you
have loose bristles landing on your coated paper. It's kind of like coating
with wet silk (not a good analogy.) Very smooth. In the long run, the cost
of the brush is inconsequential compared to everything else that goes into
producing fine prints.

> PS. While I'm at it... using a brush with metal ferrules for
> alt printing is a bad thing.

I disagree. This is simply a case of regurgitating what has been said
without thought. I've used the same Richeson brush for several years with NO
PROBLEMS. With proper use and care, the metal ferrule is not an issue.

The trick with this brush is not to shake too much of the water out of it
before you coat. If the bristles begin to separate when you shake the brush
out, then it's too dry. Re-wet it and shake out less. Three to five solid
shakes should do it.

Kerik Kouklis
www.Kerik.com