Re: Magic Brush

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 02/02/02-12:36:42 PM Z

Joe Portale wrote:

>PS. While I'm at it... using a brush with metal ferrules for alt printing is
>a bad thing. The chances of contamination from the ferrule is a real good
>possibility. How many of you folks dry your brushed bristles pointed down?
>Actually how many of you folks actually *wash* your brushes, as apposed to
>rinsing and tossing aside to dry? When learning this stuff, it was drilled
>into my head that metal clad brushes were to be avoided. Several costly
>mistakes in grad school taught me about metal ferruled brushes. I have some,
>and yes do use them, but the Hake is still the King of Brushdom for me.

I am with you on the use of the Hake brush. They are much softer than
foam and dirt cheap so I keep Hake brushes of several sizes dedicated
to each of the processes I use.

Must say, however, that I have never seen any indication of a problem
caused by the metal ferrules with any of the alt processes I use.
When I finish coating I give the brush a good wash and dry it handle
down. Before I use a new brush I always run a bead of glue, either
epoxy or super-glue, on the edge of the brush near the ferrules. This
greatly reduces the chance of a loose hair falling out of the brush
onto the paper, and may also insulate the brush from the metal and
reduce the risk of contamination from the ferrules.

Sandy King