Re: Magic Brush

From: Joe Portale (jportale@gci-net.com)
Date: 02/02/02-11:49:45 AM Z

Yes, I saw that also. Not to sound nasty, (shrugging shoulders) yeah...so? I
use both brush and rod depending on paper and/or image size. I can get just
as even a final coating with the Hake as with the rod. I have a box in my
darkroom just full of brushes of various makes, models and bristle type.
There is even a home made flannel mop, like used in the 1800's residing in
the box. The Hakes give me good results, are so cheap that if one gets
really nasty, it goes in the trash without a second thought. Maybe it is my
upbringing, (immigrant parents) but why drive a Porsche when all you need is
transportation. If the cheap brush works well, why go expensive if you don't
get any real benefits. Given the amount of time we invest in coating,
drying, burning and so on, what is a couple extra passes with a brush?
Sometimes I think we alt printers really make much ado about nothing.

Joe Portale
Tucson, AZ

PS. While I'm at it... using a brush with metal ferrules for alt printing is
a bad thing. The chances of contamination from the ferrule is a real good
possibility. How many of you folks dry your brushed bristles pointed down?
Actually how many of you folks actually *wash* your brushes, as apposed to
rinsing and tossing aside to dry? When learning this stuff, it was drilled
into my head that metal clad brushes were to be avoided. Several costly
mistakes in grad school taught me about metal ferruled brushes. I have some,
and yes do use them, but the Hake is still the King of Brushdom for me.