Re: WHICH LENNOX? - iron in water

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 02/05/02-08:17:25 AM Z

clay wrote:
> I doubt if distilled versus filtered would make any major difference
> - I just do it because my tap water in the darkroom seems to have a
> bit of iron in it.

It does make a difference if a lot of iron is in the water as typical
filters will not remove the dissolved iron (of which there are three
general types). Distilled is the best for all chemicals. For clearing
solutions and washing this may not be as practical. If tap or well
water is used, it is a good idea to have it tested for iron. Iron can
render clearing solutions ineffective. A lot of iron can give problems
and the employment of a iron filter should be considered. The two basic
types are:
permanganate type (reffered to as green sand): carcinogenic filtering
material must be handled and used carefully.
oxidizing type: more expensive but safer.

A water softener will only remove one of the dissolved iron types, but
may be all that is needed in some cases.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/