Re: Magic Brush

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 02/05/02-08:00:15 AM Z

Joe Portale wrote:
> ... If the cheap brush works well, why go expensive if you don't
> get any real benefits. ...

True, but there are benefits. Not abrading the paper, and smoothly
distributing the coating mixture are a couple.

As to the ferrule, the important thing is to have stainless, no free
iron.

I use the "white sable" brushes which are actually a fine nylon and not
that expensive. The brush size only needs to be about a tenth of the
largest negative dimension (1 inch for and 8x10) which can help keep the
cost down and save chemistry. I typically use a 1" for 4x5 and a 1.5"
for an 8x10, but have used a 1/2" for 4x5 and 1" for 8x10 many times
without problem.

Judy Seigel wrote:
> Would someone explain why they prefer brush to coating rod?
> (I've not used
> either magic brush or coating rod, but am curious.)
>
> And another easy question -- does anyone ever use foam for pt/pd?...

The foam brushes usually abrade the paper. It only takes a slight
abrasion to affect the image quality.

As to the rod and brush difference, this is something I would like to
find out as well.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/