Re: Ferric Oxalate

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 02/05/02-01:36:50 PM Z

jeffbuck@swcp.com wrote:
> .... What do I stand to gain, aside from economy, by making up my
> own FO according to the elaborate procedures outlined by Eric?

Answered partly as Eric has stated:
Eric Neilsen wrote:
> ... Perhaps, but if you make it carefully and repeat how you
> make it, the variations from batch to batch are not a problem.

Consistency is key. Making one's own can provide better assurance of
consistency. Also what happens if suppliers like Bostic & Sullivan or
Artcraft no longer make FO? I know of no other use for Ferric Oxalate
and no commercial reason to make it. So knowing how to make it from the
raw materials that are generally commercially available assures that it
can be made. Also if one wishes to control certain additives and know
what is actually in their FO, it is a good idea to be able to make it.

Some liquid FO I have tested are good, others are not. I prefer the
powder FO for storage reasons. And, I would rather make one larger
batch of powder FO than several smaller batches of liquid FO. But, with
a good supplier of powder FO, ordering can save time and even money. If
ordering it is a good idea to avoid shipping conditions that subject the
FO to excessive heat.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/