Re: Another VanDyke question

From: James Young (jamiehy@globaldialog.com)
Date: 02/07/02-12:11:54 PM Z

>--- Judy Seigel <jseigel@panix.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Sandy King wrote:
>>
>> > Joe,
>> >
>> > I am trying to increase contrast. The freshly mixed solution of
>>

>> Sandy, have you tried slowing down the exposure, either by further
>> distance from bulb, or with (blue or other) filter over neg. I've READ
>> that this increases contrast, have been meaning to try it. If you want to
>> do it first, be my guest.
>>
>> Judy
>
>I don't have empirical evidence, but it has always been my understanding that
>forcing an increased exposure time will increase the contrast. When I was
>using the sun to expose Van Dyke prints, I feel that I had noticeably less
>contrast.
>
>Cheers -
>
>george

For a while I was printing my pics (making Van Dyke prints )with 4
48" bl bulbs on cheap fixtures.Various negs were too short for the
48" bulbs so I switched to 4 96" high output bulbs.
  When I switched to 4 96" high output bulbs my exposures were 2-3
times faster, and I seemed to lose about a grade of contrast. There
might have been other variables (different bulbs being one, although
both were BL) , but increased contrast does seem to come with longer
exposures.
  Just my experience- Jamie Young in Madison, WI