Re: Oleobrom

From: pete (temperaprint@blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: 02/09/02-06:49:57 AM Z

on 9/2/02 11:19 am, Grafist@aol.com at Grafist@aol.com wrote:

> Dear All, I have recently heard of a process called "Oleobrom". I understand
> there is an English guy who has worked very much with this process named Kirk
> Toft.
> Is he on this list? I am sure he would prove to be a valuable fund of
> information for anyone researching photo graphic picture making systems. A
> search of my old books has not revealed any info on this process....whether
> it is a version of Bromoil or a Pigment process, or what.
> As some may already be aware, my own field of interest is Direct Carbon (
> NOT Carbon Transfer) which is entirely different. One wonders if there are
> any similarities between Oleobrom and Direct Carbon. This might make a change
> from the long drawn out haggling over Gum details which seems to be
> degenerating into ***????$$$$$$.
> CHEERS John Grocott- Photographist

Hello John,

Yes it would make a nice change from gum details. OK here is some info I
have.
In the BJP of 7th Nov 1930 p.676 the process is said to be invented by F.J.
Shepherd and F.F.Renwick and is described as -oleobrome- a new and
completely altered bromoil process it had been developed by Ilford Ltd. It
differed from the normal bromoil process in that it used a soft rubber
roller and hard gelatine coated photographic paper. The print was inked in a
tray underwater. However it did not last long, and seemed to have
disappeared round about 1935 the year I was born! I think the point is it
was a mechanical adaptation of the normal hand crafted bromoil technique
that up to that time had used brushes.

Best wishes John

Pete

PS. Our mutual friend Dennis Klinker should Know all about it being a
bibliophile superior in these matters.