Re: Oleobrom

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 02/09/02-09:24:02 AM Z

John Grocott wrote:

>Dear All, I have recently heard of a process called "Oleobrom". I understand
>there is an English guy who has worked very much with this process named Kirk
>Toft.
> Is he on this list? I am sure he would prove to be a valuable fund of
>information for anyone researching photo graphic picture making systems. A
>search of my old books has not revealed any info on this process....whether
>it is a version of Bromoil or a Pigment process, or what.
> As some may already be aware, my own field of interest is Direct Carbon (
>NOT Carbon Transfer) which is entirely different. One wonders if there are
>any similarities between Oleobrom and Direct Carbon. This might make a change
>from the long drawn out haggling over Gum details which seems to be
>degenerating into ***????$$$$$$.
> CHEERS John Grocott- Photographist

Oleobrom is a form of bromoil in which the print is inked by rollers,
not brushes. In general a roller (or brayer) gives finer detail and
less grain than a brush, thus a more photographic, less painterly
rendering of the scene. You could probably get enough information
from Gene Laughter's Bromoil 101 to ink up a bromoil with a roller or
brayer if interested.

BTW, what is a "photographist"?

Sandy King