Re: Oleobrom and photographists

Grafist@aol.com
Date: 02/09/02-03:13:28 PM Z

In a message dated 09/02/02 15:26:26 GMT Standard Time, sanking@clemson.edu
writes:

> BTW, what is a "photographist"?
>
> Sandy King

Sandy, First,it was my slightly pretentious label for a person, like myself,
who practiced making images using photographic techniques.......but not to
the exclusion of other means, particularly those of hand brushwork etc.,
etc., Since I started way back in my early childhood with drawing, painting
and photography, but found after many years of following well trod paths that
neither craft satisfied my desire to make marks on flat materials like paper
and canvas or to achieve aspects of abstract imagery, a merger of the areas,
then, apparently opposing fields of graphics presented itself to me in a
verbal way, as it were........I thought I had created a new description for
myself which gave a clue to the non-photographer of what I was trying to do.
One day several years later whilst browsing through my copy of "The
Encyclopaedia of Photography" by Walter Woodbury 1890 (eighteen ninety) I
came across this definition " "Photographist" = A photographer." (Page
518). It was worth the $10 I had paid for the book just to realize that I
had not been alone in the notion that an "alternative" concept of someone
working with a camera and mixed media might well wish to be described
differently to others working only with photography. Perhaps this label
would not suit everyone, but you must see it does arouse curiosity even in
those as well read as yourself....nezpah? I also felt it might describe a
photographer who still has a sense of humour ( U S humor) even tho' they may
be sitting on a cactus. All comments and ridicule welcome.
 And for Oleobrom....thanks Pete, Dennis and Sandy for the good technical
references altho' I probably wont go into the wet hands mode just yet awhile.
Too much on my plate. I would just like to talk about the Oleobrom process
in a more knowledgeable way to students. Also, would appreciate
communicating with Kirk Toft who is reputed to have helped many more
vociferous people than himself to gain publicity with Oleobrom. I was on Gene
Laughter's "B" (Bromoil) list awhile back, but since I am not a bromoilista
felt better in retiring back to the broader and more entertaining field of
the "A" (Alternative) List since it is a very good sociological and
linguistic study of internet communication as much as photographic matters.
But to stick within the topic of photo processes, Oleobrom sounds a little
like Oil Printing using factory paper material.
BTW.Has anyone tried doing Gum prints on fixed out factory bromide paper? I
have not. Since I have recently reached "retirement" age and have left the
job in Hell, I may now have some more time to devote to being a
Photographist .
               This list is truly theraputic. Thanks.
                      John -Photographist