Re: Book by Christopher James

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 02/10/02-11:27:51 PM Z

On Sat, 9 Feb 2002, Sandy King wrote:

> I want to also mention that another method for increasing contrast
> with vandykes, adding dichromate directly to the sensitizer before
> coating it on the paper, does not work either. (I don't recall where
> I saw that suggestion, perhaps on article on The Unblinking Eye.) The

I've found that "contrast control" in a lot of VDB formulas, tho I don't
remember one in particular. I also found that it didn't work, but it
didn't work differently for me than it didn't work for you. That is, the
dichromate in the sensitizer, even a tiny bit, DID increase the contrast
but simultaneously stripped the highlights. Contrast was gross, and
exposure time much longer.

My hunch however is that it may have worked for someone who managed to add
even less dichromate.

Judy