Re: What is "Good Photography"?

From: clay (wcharmon@wt.net)
Date: 02/23/02-08:02:39 AM Z

Judy wrote:

> To me, making a big deal
> out of that is much ado about nothing, no depths to parse or real effort
> to plumb -- exactly the kind of art that DOESN'T require thought. You get
> it in an instant, and then feel very profound & superior.
>
> Brilliant art is humbling.

Sounds to me like the lighted/unlighted room and 'trashed room' pieces may
fail this particular test of artistic merit. I don't think many people have
expressed the thought that they felt 'humbled' by these particular examples.

I remember reading some artist quoted (I can't remember who it was) that
said that if somebody paused and really looked at his/her images, even if
they eventually expressed dislike, that she/he considered it artistically
successful. This seems like one pretty simple 'bonehead' test that might
appeal to us philistines living in places like Texas.

Speaking of quotes, I've been trying to find the source of the quote
"Wagner's music is really better than it sounds" Was it Shaw, Wilde, or
another Victorian quotesmith? This one is begging to be dusted off and used
again in this discussion.

Clay