RE: Digital Negatives

From: John Campbell (tojohn@texas.net)
Date: 02/26/02-03:30:18 PM Z

Hi, Carl

I imagine you'll get several responses to your post, so let me go ahead and
open the fray!

Make sure that your monitor and printer are calibrated correctly (by running
a step wedge through your entire process and making corrections with the
transfer function. Check that the gamma of your scan is correct for the
film you are working with. Do your initial curve, color, and contrast
corrections in the highest bit data mode that your scanner is capable of
putting out. You will want a smooth histogram, as opposed to one with gaps
and fingers in it-the telltale signs of posterization. Do your basic
editing using layers, adjustment layers, filters, etc., as economically as
possible. Apply the correct curves for your intended media and process.
Invert the image and save it in Genuine Fractals (.stn) format. Close the
file. Re-open the file to 8x10 with ppi=450. Apply a minimal UnsharpMask.
Print that baby using dye based, rather than pigment, inks. (It's also
critical that your print heads are aligned on the media itself (i.e. the OHP
film). I re-align mine every time I change from one media to the other. )
Fire up your trusty Gecko UV light box and print a masterpiece!

That's all there is to it-give or take several hundred unforeseen variables.

But hang on! Rectifications, modifications, errata, addenda, differences of
approach, and splittings of the hair will soon follow from other (more
proficient) members of the group. I yield, in advance, to their correction.

;~>

--John

http://www.photogecko.com/
Home of The Gecko UV Light Box