Re: fractal

From: Tom Ferguson (tomf2468@pipeline.com)
Date: 02/28/02-09:11:12 AM Z

> From: Judy Seigel <jseigel@panix.com>
> Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 23:40:36 -0500 (EST)
> To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
> Subject: Re: fractal
>

> On Wed, 27 Feb 2002 FDanB@aol.com wrote:
>> The best approach would be to download a demo version of Genuine Fractals
>> and the free Stair Photoshop action and run a own comparison with YOUR
>> images. Then you'll know whether you need to spend extra money or can
>> live with the free options available.
>
> I think you may be right about the demo version Dan, but even that's an
> investment of time. My experience so far is that software I have
> downloaded has left me closer to crazy than previously. <BIG SNIP>
>
> Is it one of those backwards reels the mind systems that's so awkward it
> predisposes to stroke or helpless bafflement (like the PC which makes you
> press "start" to log off), or somewhat intuitive or at least clear, even
> easy? (Not easy for geeks, easy for analog woman.)

Fractals is, from old memory, a simple program to learn. I suspect even
analog woman can handle it ;-)

> I'm not going to reveal which Photoshop program I'm using -- but am still
> fighting upgrade since in my experience they do a lot of stuff you don't
> need while making the basics you do need harder to access... (That Stair
> Action is for APS 6, I suppose?)

I think I started using Stair in PhotoShop 5 or 5.5. But, it is a VERY
simple action, it only uses the size dialog box. Probably only a 15K
download, so well worth trying on any PhotoShop version that allows actions.

You could even record your own action, or recreate the action manually. Just
open the Image>Image Size dialog box. Change the top numbers from Pixels to
percent (if needed). Input 110% and hit OK. Repeat as many times as needed
to achieve your image size. Save the action for future use (if wanted).

Yes, it is slower than Fractals. But, it isn't like you have to watch the
computer "crunch the numbers". Set the action off and go do something else
if the file is big!

> PS to Tom: I appreciate your comment about opening can of long worms with
> the question, but you left out, which is better, digital or film? (Or is
> that already so over?)

HA, lets no go there!

--
Tom Ferguson