One more question about gold toning van dyke

From: Christopher Lovenguth (chrisml@pacbell.net)
Date: 01/25/02-10:49:36 AM Z

I mostly make Van Dyke images and I am very interested in trying this. Can I
start with a simple gold toning kit from photographer's formulary? They have
a couple different kits so I was wondering if any of you out there have
tried their gold toning kits and which one you might recommend to first try
with Van Dyke. I was looking at the NELSON GOLD TONER they say it is similar
to Kodak T-21. Also is it possible to test on old prints or are best results
only to tone before fix? Thanks for any suggestions.