Re: OK one more time with gold toning van dyke browns

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 01/29/02-02:19:03 AM Z

On Mon, 28 Jan 2002, Christopher Lovenguth wrote:

> My main reason for trying this besides curiosity is that people have been
> saying that toning might actually help with the bleaching that happens while
> fixing a Van Dyke image.

Christopher, if you mix a dilute fixer (1 heaping tbsp per pint), and tho
you don't have to I suppose it wouldn't hurt to alkalinize it a bit, and
don't fix for more than 2 minutes, it will NOT bleach. Or very little.
As far as I know the business about fixing for 5 minutes is rank
superstition, habit, or whatever... I did extreme absurd tests, and could
not find any harm from fixing for only 2 minutes... However, if you WANT
to fix longer, simply allow for that in your printing. Do a 21-step & see
how much you have to overprint to keep tone. This means of course that
both the fix AND the wash before fixing have to be precisely timed.

Judy