Re: Gum over Kallitype with Pyro negative

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 07/03/02-01:06:54 AM Z

Larry Roohr wrote:

> I'm not sure how pertinent this is to the current discussion but I'll throw
> it in anyway.
(snip)

> The only reason for the spectral method is to get the density required for
> PP printing anyway so, curiosity aside, I don't believe there's any reason
> to go there for gum, just complicates the issue.

Actually there's another reason some have gone to the (fill method)
spectral density negatives for gum: some printers, the old bigger
droplet printers like mine and according to Dan the 1280, deposit too
much ink and it puddles before it dries, rendering the negative useless.
My reason for testing the spectral density negatives for the Pictorico
was that black with color inks just puddled all over the film, and no
amount of fiddling with dot gain or transfer function made any
difference; and the black ink negatives looked so goshawful that a
person didn't even think they'd be worth trying to print. Anyway, I
described the results of all that testing in detail in a long post six
or eight months ago, and don't see any particular reason to tell that
whole story again. It's in the archives, if anyone's interested.
Katharine