Re: Gum over Kallitype with Pyro negative

From: Kees Brandenburg (branden@zeelandnet.nl)
Date: 07/03/02-08:06:00 AM Z

Cor and others:

> >Re-registration is always an issue.

Belgium gumprinter Jean Jeanssis once told me about his method when
re-registration is difficult (he makes very large gumprints). Just
put your coated paper for a short moment on a lightbox (with tungsten
or red filtered fluorescent light) and position the negative in
register with the most important part of the image. This makes the
image sharp in the most important part and evens out the unsharpness
on other parts. This works fine with multi layered gum but maybe not
so good with one layer of gum over cyano/kali/platinum.

>I'm not familiar with the Fonteney paper you mention -- but I gather
>you didn't preshrink it.

Fontenay is a nice 300 grs. 100% cotton aquarel paper by Canson with
one smooth and one rough side. Here in the Netherlands it is rather
cheap.

I have been using this paper in my gum workshops for over 6 months
and it behaves very good. But good multiple gumprints are only
possible,as Judy wrote" "on preshrunk, then sized, then hardened,
paper".

When preshrunk (overnight),sized (3% gelatin) and hardened (glyoxal)
fontenay is one of the most stable papers I ever used for Gum. I am
printing on the smooth side.

Kees