Re: Gum over Kallitype with Pyro negative

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 07/04/02-12:30:23 AM Z

On Wed, 3 Jul 2002, Kees Brandenburg wrote:

> Belgium gumprinter Jean Jeanssis once told me about his method when
> re-registration is difficult (he makes very large gumprints). Just
> put your coated paper for a short moment on a lightbox (with tungsten
> or red filtered fluorescent light) and position the negative in
> register with the most important part of the image. This makes the
> image sharp in the most important part and evens out the unsharpness
> on other parts. This works fine with multi layered gum but maybe not
> so good with one layer of gum over cyano/kali/platinum.

I reregister on a light box the same way -- periodically I decide it's
"cheating" and vow to give it up, but I find that registering from the
outside (by register marks or pins) is NEVER as accurate -- and lots more
trouble. Also the pins and holes and tabs are a great big nuisance, not to
mention eyesore.

One other "trick," which I resort to in extremis (I often drag out a print
for a year or two while I decide what it needs, and a large sheet of paper
can shrink with old age in such a long time): I expose the part that will
register with a goldenrod paper over the other half, marking position of
the edge of the cover sheet in pencil in the margin. Then I flip the
goldenrod paper and re-register the other half using the pencil marks to
reposition it.. Did one tonight as a matter of fact, and both halves
actually registered perfectly -- as does not, if you could believe,
necessarily happen.

That "trick," by the way, is a relic of a time when I lived really
dangerously, doing large gums on thin paper. On thicker paper, re-register
is not so fraught -- tho the light box is still easiest, I find. (It's
also good exercise -- light box and UV table are separated by a flight of
stairs -- !!)

Judy.