Re: Gum over Kallitype with Pyro negative

From: Kees Brandenburg (branden@zeelandnet.nl)
Date: 07/04/02-01:18:10 AM Z

Hi Hamish

>Thanks for the tip on papers. But a question, do you find that from batch to
batch the paper behaves much the same?

I ordered 75 sheets in one order, they are probably from the same
batch. Fontenay is sold in 25 sheet plastic bags, 57 x 76 cm sheets.
This version is rather new, there used to be a 50% cotton fontenay
with the same surface caracteristics on both sides.

So I can't tell you about differences between batches, but being a
new paper they might change things again. The difference between
batches is a known problem not only with gum. Unfortunately
manufacturers keep their recipes as secrets of the trade.

What I noticed with this paper is that in preshrinking the original
sizing comes off, leaving a somewhat slimy residue in the tray.
Preshrinking twice might give better results, but one preshrink, two
coats of gelatin, formalin or glyoxal hardening plus final wash seems
wet enough for me.

>I currently use both Saunders Waterford and Fabriano Artisco both 600gsm
>with good results but note that my most recent batch is staining more than
>before.

For me the only (read ONLY) way to prevent staining (considering that
your emulsion is not overpigmented) is gelatin sizing and
formalin/glyoxal hardening. Working this way any paper will print ok
for gum, because is has my known extra tough coating. Choose a paper
that keeps the best registration and suits yout estetic taste.

Kees