Re: Gum over Kallitype with Pyro negative

From: Kees Brandenburg (branden@zeelandnet.nl)
Date: 07/04/02-01:50:31 AM Z

>I reregister on a light box the same way -- periodically I decide it's
>"cheating" and vow to give it up, but I find that registering from the
>outside (by register marks or pins) is NEVER as accurate -- and lots more
>trouble. Also the pins and holes and tabs are a great big nuisance, not to
>mention eyesore.

Judy,
There is nothing wrong with cheating in this respect. I find that
(some) prints actually get very good by this concentrated sharpness.
Spectators are pulled with their attention into the sharp and crisp
details which happen to be well chosen and not by accident because of
a rigid and formal registration method.

Last month I organised my first full colour gum workshop with digital
negatives. You can imagine the registration hasle.

To register the four different negatives we added black strips around
the sides of the colorseparated files in Photoshop. In these black
strips are small white rectangles, at regular distances. Strips look
like the perforated side of a 35 mm negative. Take care to keep
registration in all four digital files.

When printing the first coat the small squares show up at some
distance of your image. Now you have many registration marks around
your image. Which makes it possible to cheat, in a luvly controlable
way.

Negatives were printed in quad black ink (MIS FS) using PiezoBW on
Schoellerhammer #6 transparancies. Schoellershammer is not as good as
Pictorico but with som curve fiddling is ok for gum. One big
advantage over Pictorico: it keeps the pigmented ink much better. On
Pictorico you have to be very carefull when touching the printed
side. Tis can be overcome by spraying with an acryllic coating.

Kees

--
Kees Brandenburg   ------------|       <http://polychrome.nl/>