RE: speaking of gold & gold toner

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 05/31/02-11:18:23 PM Z

On Fri, 31 May 2002, Liam Lawless wrote:

> >I've not seen one just like this before.
>
> Richard, there are dozens of variations of this formula in "the literature",
> and I seem to remember that Tetenal's gold toner is of the same type.
> Another example is in Photographic Facts and Formulas, under the heading
> "Thiourea Toner". They do work (as Janet has shown, and I believe she
> mentioned fixing). Without prior sepia toning, they do not give sepia
> tones, but the purple-blue-blacks associated with gold. I find that
> increasing the thiourea makes the toner more active, if that's what you
> want.

Janet was using the gold toner after Liam's "variable sepia" toner, also a
thiocarbamide. She did find, incidentally, that a LOT of washing was
required. She was getting stains in the whites until she began washing an
hour after each toning/fixing.

Speaking of her experience, however, in light of Jonathan's comments on
Englehard wanting a larger order, it occurs to me that the $40 may have
been some kind of surcharge for that reason.... In fact I seem to
recollect that some years ago their minimum order was $150.

Judy