Re: Fresson and handmade

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 06/09/02-08:26:59 PM Z

On Sun, 9 Jun 2002, Alejandro Lopez de Haro wrote:

> Judy Siegel wrote: "But what do "honest" and "art" have to do with each
> other anyway?">

> Honesty and art have much to do with each other as with business and
> businessmen, law and lawyers, medicine and doctors, journalism and
> journalist, father and son, husband and wife.

So honesty in art is analogous to honesty in other fields. Perhaps. But
your claim of what an artist must do to be honest may not be: you do not
say what a doctor must do to be honest (make his/her own medicine or
simply take it?) or a lawyer (get him/herself indicted?). Honesty comes in
many sizes and shapes, and is by no means pre-defined. (Or is, like
beauty, often as not in the eye of the beholder.)

I'm sure by the way you meant to mention father & daughter, also mother &
child. But you don't say whether "honesty" requires the parent to raise
the child him/herself alone -- parenting being a most difficult and
treacherous art, compared to which photography is mere child's play.

(I note in passing that "parenting" is a relatively recent verbal
construction, tho I daresay that belongs on the semantics list.)

cheers,

Judy