cheap OHP for digital negs, was Re: mordancage

From: S Wang (stwang@direcTVinternet.com)
Date: 06/19/02-10:41:57 AM Z

>(weird; I have received no messages from the alt list in 2 days??)

Hi Chris,

Just to reassure you and the 3 other list members reading the list
this time of year, the list is working and that some of us are silent
but are having a good time making prints.

For cyanotype with gum, the cheap (at $18.99 for 50 sheets) Arista
overhead transparency material from Freestyle (and I suspect almost
any run-of-the-mill overhead transparency material) is working quite
well for me. I print them on either the Epson C80 or the 1200 with
pigment inks, with black only at Photo 1440 dpi setting. Only once in
a while in large smooth-toned areas are there subtle banding. I did
have to come up with a curve setting that prints a little more dense
than the default does, while maintaining proper tonal relationships.

The "negatives" read from about .01 to about 1.1, perfect for
gum/cyanotype combinations. Yes, it can go up to 2.15, but it seems
much harder to get the Epson to print smoothly and predictably in
that range. So I would not recommend this for single printing
processes such as PD/PT. Also, the dots, and lines, though fine, are
visible in single printings, in gum as well as in cyanotype - as Judy
has pointed out a number of times, single print gums are as sharp and
detailed as any other hand coated process.

Say, what's the temperature up in Montana these days?

Sam Wang