Re: Casein Prints, Sodium Caseinate Availability

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 03/06/02-11:15:15 PM Z

On Wed, 6 Mar 2002, Tom Ferguson wrote:

> Sadly, I'm not impressed with casein. The powder from Kremer worked better
> than home-made from powdered skim milk, but neither worked great. All papers
> double gelatin coated and glyoxal hardened. All paint Windsor watercolors
> (lamp black and Thalo blue). Ammonium Dichromate, saturated solution. Tried
> three different papers, everything produced the same issues. Not a lot of
> steps (not much more than gum), poor separation between steps (worst than
> gum), no more saturation than gum (I had expected the "Gauche look" of
> Casein to be more saturated). Bummer :-(
>
> It does require a lot more physical clearing. After a half hour in wash
> water you really need to spray directly on the print to get it to clear.
> Interesting, but no real advantage.

Tom, I think there's got to be something perverse about gum printers...
Just reading your description made me eager to try it !! Maybe the reason
Lukas did so well with it is that he BEGAN with it... I had his prints
here for a while and they were gorgeous. Tho he may not have done step
tablets (I don't remember), his colors were extremely rich and fairly
opaque.

One difference comes to mind is that he was using only 7-1/2 to 10%
potassium dichromate. He also said he gave a layer of plain casein between
coats, without any dichromate. "Improves sharpness and prevents staining."

And he used dry pigment... He said Kremer Spinel black was great, tho I
couldn't make it work at all for gum.

Judy