Re: Casein Prints, Sodium Caseinate Availability

From: Tom Ferguson (tomf2468@pipeline.com)
Date: 03/06/02-10:45:02 PM Z

Sadly, I'm not impressed with casein. The powder from Kremer worked better
than home-made from powdered skim milk, but neither worked great. All papers
double gelatin coated and glyoxal hardened. All paint Windsor watercolors
(lamp black and Thalo blue). Ammonium Dichromate, saturated solution. Tried
three different papers, everything produced the same issues. Not a lot of
steps (not much more than gum), poor separation between steps (worst than
gum), no more saturation than gum (I had expected the "Gauche look" of
Casein to be more saturated). Bummer :-(

It does require a lot more physical clearing. After a half hour in wash
water you really need to spray directly on the print to get it to clear.
Interesting, but no real advantage.

Unless someone has a suggestion, it is back to gum for me!

--
Tom Ferguson
http://www.ferguson-photo-design.com