Re: Inkjet transparencies for Pt/Pd and Cyanotype

From: jacques verschuren (info@jacquesverschuren.nl)
Date: 03/08/02-09:06:21 AM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: "Katharine Thayer" <kthayer@pacifier.com>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@skyway.usask.ca>
Sent: Friday, March 08, 2002 7:21 AM
Subject: Re: Inkjet transparencies for Pt/Pd and Cyanotype

> David Oliver wrote:
> >
> > Dare I ask another computer-related question? Well, about making
desktop
> > negatives,
>
> Not to worry, the generation of digital negatives for alternative
> process is an ongoing topic of interest here and few if any would argue
> that it's off-topic. There's no other place to go for these kinds of
> questions; we're it.
>

> > Dan has two methods of creating a spectral density negative - the
"colorize"
> > method and the "color table" method. Any recommendations on which
method
> > might be better? Can the color table method really produce a negative
with
> > enough density?
>
> It depends on your printer, on the process, and on what you want your
> final print to look like, for starters. For example, Dan has proved to
> the astonishment of onlookers that decent platinum prints can be made
> from color table negatives printed on the epson photoEX; I can't make a
> color table negative from my EX that will print a decent gum print; as I
> reported here a couple of months ago, I can't find a curve or a density
> (even 100%) for a color table negative that will print anything but mud
> in gum; the UV just laughs at the "density" it encounters there and
> goes on through all parts of the negative. I found the colorize-by-fill
> method better than the color table method for gum, but still not very
> satisfactory, resulting in a gum print with more contrast than I want.

I have the same experience, despite trying to follow Dan's suggestions in
his book. I also use Pictorico on my Epson 1290 and I just print the
negative as it is, no color table, no colorize, but please, print your
black, white and all shades of grey negative with color inks instead of
black ink, as it has less grain and somehow looks more smooth. But all this
is just my simple experience from trying to print gum with dig. negs.

Jacques Verschuren