Re: The future of the handmade print?

From: Richard Sullivan (richsul@earthlink.net)
Date: 03/08/02-04:00:39 PM Z

Take the discussion away from photography for a moment.

It the not too distant future one is going to be able to take a score and
play it through a virtual violin. Lets suppose one can adjust all the
nuances and such by digitally tweaking the output. Say that it could not be
distinguished by the ear from Issac Stern.

Suppose one could digitally exactly* reproduce in paint the color and
surface texture any great piece of art, Van Goghs irises for instance.

I will find the "real" Isaac Stern (now recently passed) concert more
satisfying and the original Van Goghs equally so. Do we not marvel at the
fact that a human can do that.

The fact that Van Gogh painted by hand and not by pushing a button makes it
much more satisfying for me, even if he had incorporated his vision somehow
via a computer and then outputted it. The fact is that much more of the
physical Vincent was involved other than just the right index finger
pushing a button.

Photography is an 19th Century process more in tune with the
Twentieth. "Push the button and we'll do the rest" says Victorian Kodak.

Sorry Big Yeller, I want to do the rest.

I want to buy work that represents both the art and craft of its producer.

--Dick Sullivan

* note how the words "digitally" and "exactly" seem redundant in that sentence!