Re: The future of the handmade print?

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 03/11/02-01:34:53 AM Z

On Sun, 10 Mar 2002 FDanB@aol.com wrote:
> Judy said in her message...
>
> >Some of the latter, by the way, I doubt
> >could be told from "wet prints" unless you spit on them.
>
> And I can't tell a diamond from a cubic zirconium...even if I do spit on
> it. ;^)
> That doesn't make them peg the same on the desirability meter. (And
> please, let's not get into the politics of the international gem market;
> you know what I mean.)

It is my experience & impression that value -- or desirability -- in "art"
is no more logical than in gems. No guarantee that "hand made print"
will automatically have "value" above digital print. Maybe in certain
markets, but not across the board. For me personally, yes. In market ?--
oh please. Do you know the price some guy's canned excrement is selling
for now? Really ! Which is to say, "value" in art market is... extrinsic.

> >Also, if we're extolling the value of the extra labor, I doubt
> >that an inkjet print is easier to make than a regular silver gelatin
> >print. In fact, if you count the learning curve, the digital print takes
> >longer. And nobody is calling silver gelatin printers "lazy."
>
> We'll have to disagree here. I'm not saying it's easy to perfect inkjet
> printing. But no way is it as difficult as taming the finely crafted
> silver print. And we won't even talk about the ease of reproduction once
> you have your print's "formula" down. John Sexton or Jerry Uelsmann could
> never bang out prints as easily as an ink jet printer.

Dan dear, let me explain. For you, a computer person, the above may have
been true. For those not, not. You can learn "fine printing" enough (more
than that is fetish IMO) in a few months ... (And let's not get started on
EITHER John Sexton or Jerry Uelsmann, please)... but it takes much longer
to get ducks in a row digitally, and before you can they upgrade & you're
at bottom of the hill again (mixed metaphor, please excuse). There's also
the fact that "fine printing" is only one aesthetic. Can also be a big
snore.

> ... I just hope we
> don't see the "Franklin Mintation" of photography with easily and
> accurately reproduced images.

Why not... somebody's got to set the curve...

Judy