Re: sabatier

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 03/11/02-01:58:37 AM Z

On Sat, 9 Mar 2002, Christina Z. Anderson wrote:

> and, in fact, the first time I taught it and wrote about it in my
> Experimental Photography Workbook I had believed all that was true, along
> with the stuff in Jim Stone's Darkroom Dynamics. Along with the incorrect
> spelling, of which we talked about on this list.

The really wonderful thing from that Stone book was somebody (I forget
who) showed the checkerboard method for testing solarizing. EXTREMELY
necessary & helpful

> Also Theresa Airey's
> Creative Photo Printmaking had a section on solarization. The sabatiers
> were hit and miss and kind of dull.

Didn't she major in infra red? Publisher probably presses to broaden.

> definitely the R77 formula was the preferred one over the Jolly
formula,
> altho both sabatiered very well. I'm not sure why the R77 had more punch
> over the generic solarol which Jolly's formula is, but this result also was
> true of the real Solarol which I tested. The mackie lines seem thin and
> dull.

My point is that different methods of doing the process show different
results -- so far no one overarching "theory" seems to apply. That is,
none of those "explanations" from any source seem to cover all.

> I don't think solarization/sabatier is something of the past, either:
> in one of the latest issues of PDN there is a photographer named Cat de Rham
> who has a solarization on the table of contents page that is quite nice.
> Chris

Sure is a great name... but I didn't mean the aesthetic would fade so much
as that silver gelatin paper might... I can imagine factory paper sinking
from sight (squeezed by digital on one hand & hand coated on the other
maybe). Or the big companies won't make it any more.

> PS I will credit, therefore, in the revised workbook (which has not gone to
> print yet) PF2 and the Australian article *and* the alt list :)

Thanking you kindly in advance... but don't forget Philip Jackson !

best,

Judy