Re: The future of the handmade print?

FDanB@aol.com
Date: 03/10/02-06:45:48 AM Z

Judy said in her message...

>Some of the latter, by the way, I doubt
>could be told from "wet prints" unless you spit on them.

And I can't tell a diamond from a cubic zirconium...even if I do spit on
it. ;^)
That doesn't make them peg the same on the desirability meter. (And
please, let's not get into the politics of the international gem market;
you know what I mean.)

>Also, if we're extolling the value of the extra labor, I doubt
>that an inkjet print is easier to make than a regular silver gelatin
>print. In fact, if you count the learning curve, the digital print takes
>longer. And nobody is calling silver gelatin printers "lazy."

We'll have to disagree here. I'm not saying it's easy to perfect inkjet
printing. But no way is it as difficult as taming the finely crafted
silver print. And we won't even talk about the ease of reproduction once
you have your print's "formula" down. John Sexton or Jerry Uelsmann could
never bang out prints as easily as an ink jet printer.

>I promise, there are
>marvelous gorgeous spectacular digital prints... and will be even more.

Couldn't agree more and we will all (most of us anyway) have inkjet
prints on our walls along with other photographic media. I just hope we
don't see the "Franklin Mintation" of photography with easily and
accurately reproduced images.

Dan