Re: sabatier

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 03/09/02-11:11:23 AM Z

     Yes, it was from this list. I am sure that whoever shared it--probably
even you?--got it from PF. Even tho I have the PF journal with it in,
also, I hadn't realized there was a sabatier article in there until we
started talking about it online. :) It is nice to know the actual original
source, tho, so thanx.
     I had initially done my sabatiers from the original Rainwater book,
and, in fact, the first time I taught it and wrote about it in my
Experimental Photography Workbook I had believed all that was true, along
with the stuff in Jim Stone's Darkroom Dynamics. Along with the incorrect
spelling, of which we talked about on this list. Also Theresa Airey's
Creative Photo Printmaking had a section on solarization. The sabatiers
were hit and miss and kind of dull.
     I had purchased some back issues of Photo Techniques magazine which had
articles on duotone solarization etc etc and also had the students
experiment with those methods. These were really good articles and fun,
too.
     Then we started discussing it online here, where I found out about
Jolly's article and Edwin Buffaloe's site, and the myths, so now that I just
finished revising the workbook I corrected my previous mistakes. But
definitely the R77 formula was the preferred one over the Jolly formula,
altho both sabatiered very well. I'm not sure why the R77 had more punch
over the generic solarol which Jolly's formula is, but this result also was
true of the real Solarol which I tested. The mackie lines seem thin and
dull.
     I don't think solarization/sabatier is something of the past, either:
in one of the latest issues of PDN there is a photographer named Cat de Rham
who has a solarization on the table of contents page that is quite nice.
Chris
PS I will credit, therefore, in the revised workbook (which has not gone to
print yet) PF2 and the Australian article *and* the alt list :)

> On Fri, 8 Mar 2002, Christina Z. Anderson wrote:
>
> > My sabatier developer i use that has been so wonderful is the
Rainwater