Re: Gum discovery by S. Melvin -- maybe

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 03/12/02-11:59:34 PM Z

On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, Tom Ferguson wrote:

> On Fabriano paper, gelatin size, glyoxal hardener, and WN tube paints and
> Daniel Smith Gum.... (did I get most of the variables????)..... the alcohol
> caused a LOT of staining/poor clearing :-(
>
> I did not use Everclear (illegal where I live), but added 2% isopropyl. It
> did coat nicely though!
> --

There are a couple of others somewhere in the file, but I remembered an
easy one (book is on shelf behind me): The Practical Photographer Series
on Gum-Bichromate Printing, 1905: page 64, #2 in a list of options for
sensitising solution:

potassium bi-chromate 10%, 10 parts; methylated spirit,
1 part; gum solution (40%), 10 parts; pigment quant. suff.

That "quant. suff." is in italics, I assume Latin for sufficient quantity.

Judy