RE: Light source for big prints

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 03/20/02-12:22:58 PM Z

Keith:

At this time I am using both BLB and HID exposing units and each has
its advantages and disadvantages. However, 20X24 is the biggest
prints I am making, or intend to make (although my current bank of UV
tubes consists of twelve 48" tubes, enough for very even coverage of
about 32" X 46". I think you are right in that if the HID lamp were
to be placed, either with or without the center filter, in such a way
as to cover 30X40" it would be slower than a UV bank of BL or BLB
tubes of sufficient size to cover that area.

And yes, all but one of the photographs in the article were carbons,
the other a platinum toned kallitype as I recall. The wonderful thing
about carbon is that you can get virtually any tone or color desired,
and all of these with absolute permanence out of the box.

BTW, I agree with John in that you should get very even exposure with
the tube layout described in your earlier message. Good luck with the
project.

Sandy King