Fabric for alt photography (as opposed to paper)

From: Tom Ferguson (tomf2468@pipeline.com)
Date: 03/20/02-02:51:37 PM Z

Before I dive into experiments I thought I would ask for suggestions.
Jeffrey Mathias' screens and Bob Schramm's article in Postfactory have me
intrequed.

I've played with this before and always come to the conclusion that it was
too inconsistent and too expensive (soaks up a LOT of platinum). I have a
series of images first printed as palladium on unprimed painter's canvas,
then latter on paper. The more I stare at them, the more I like the fabric.
I did experiment with sizing the canvas. Arrowroot did the best job, but
even sized the thick painter's canvas made for a very $$$$ print as it
soaked up the chemicals.

Jeffrey on his excellent site http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/
suggests a few fabrics including Sea Isle, Pima, and Egyptian. I couldn't
find any info on "Sea Isle" and the website for the company Jeffrey suggests
(Stylecrest Fabrics) doesn't work (perhaps why Jeffrey doesn't list the web
address??). Pima and Egyptian are (I think) common enough to get at the
local sewing store?? One website lists Pima "for fabric dyeing" as having
"no finish on the fabric or other chemicals" :
http://www.fabricstodyefor.com/Fabric_Art_Supplies/Cotton/pfd.htm

Images would be printed in palladium or kallitype. I would like a fabric a
bit rougher than Jeffrey uses, but not quite as rough as painter canvas.
These images are shot with the worst large format lens I've ever seen, more
distortion than imaginable, and thus a lot of fun :-) I paid a whole $8US
for it at a swap meet! So, I'm not looking for "Group F64" sharpness here!

--
Tom Ferguson
http://www.ferguson-photo-design.com