Re: Fabric for alt photography (as opposed to paper)

From: Robert W. Schramm (schrammrus@hotmail.com)
Date: 03/20/02-05:46:47 PM Z

Tom,

   You are quite right, fabric soaks up a lot of sensitizer. I can tell you
that you must use natural fibers. Man made fibers don't work for the simple
reason that they tend to repel water based sensitizer. That is why I used a
reletively inexpensive process i.e. VDB. Have you thought about diluting the
platinum sensitizer with distilled water?

Bob Schramm

>From: Tom Ferguson <tomf2468@pipeline.com>
>To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
>Subject: Fabric for alt photography (as opposed to paper)
>Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 12:51:37 -0800
>
>Before I dive into experiments I thought I would ask for suggestions.
>Jeffrey Mathias' screens and Bob Schramm's article in Postfactory have me
>intrequed.
>
>I've played with this before and always come to the conclusion that it was
>too inconsistent and too expensive (soaks up a LOT of platinum). I have a
>series of images first printed as palladium on unprimed painter's canvas,
>then latter on paper. The more I stare at them, the more I like the fabric.
>I did experiment with sizing the canvas. Arrowroot did the best job, but
>even sized the thick painter's canvas made for a very $$$$ print as it
>soaked up the chemicals.
>
>Jeffrey on his excellent site http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/
>suggests a few fabrics including Sea Isle, Pima, and Egyptian. I couldn't
>find any info on "Sea Isle" and the website for the company Jeffrey
>suggests
>(Stylecrest Fabrics) doesn't work (perhaps why Jeffrey doesn't list the web
>address??). Pima and Egyptian are (I think) common enough to get at the
>local sewing store?? One website lists Pima "for fabric dyeing" as having
>"no finish on the fabric or other chemicals" :
>http://www.fabricstodyefor.com/Fabric_Art_Supplies/Cotton/pfd.htm
>
>Images would be printed in palladium or kallitype. I would like a fabric a
>bit rougher than Jeffrey uses, but not quite as rough as painter canvas.
>These images are shot with the worst large format lens I've ever seen, more
>distortion than imaginable, and thus a lot of fun :-) I paid a whole $8US
>for it at a swap meet! So, I'm not looking for "Group F64" sharpness here!
>--
>Tom Ferguson
>http://www.ferguson-photo-design.com

Check out my web page at: