Re: solarization and alt process observations

From: wcharmon (wcharmon@wt.net)
Date: 03/26/02-12:02:51 PM Z

> Christina, Sandy and Carl et al:

2 cents worth on the bronzing: I too have occasionally had
bronzing on pure palladium, usually in clear film edge area
that receives the maximum exposure. I have found that double
coating will help prevent this when it occurs, probably
because there is just more sensitizer impregnated in the
paper.

My family has some old platinum portraits done about 1912
that show bronzing too. Makes you wonder if some of the
so-called manufactured platinum paper may actually have a
little palladium in it.

Carl: I just recently tried a pure platinum print with fresh
ammonium citrate on Buxton. I got a decent print, but it did
not have the depth that my palladium prints from the same
negative exhibit. The image color was a neutral black, which
is also not particularly to my taste. Admittedly this is a
limited test, but suffice it to say that I was underwhelmed,
and am not going to pursue it because of the considerable
extra expense. I had heard someone say that pure platinum
was impossible to do nowadays, and took the remark as
something of a challenge. Maybe the remark should be
modified to: great-looking pure platinum is difficult. FWIW

Clay