Re: kallitype fogging?: EDTA solution life?

From: shannon stoney (sstoney@pdq.net)
Date: 03/28/02-06:54:18 AM Z

Sandy wrote:

>If the prints were developed, cleared and fixed carrying them
>through sunlight should not cause fogging. Once the ferrous iron has
>been removed and the silver nitrate fixed there should not be
>anything light sensitive left in the paper. Same goes for drying
>them on the porch.

That's what I thought, but then I reread Christopher James' book--the
section about kallitypes--and in there he says that they should be
dried in the dark.

>It sounds like you may not have cleared the prints enough by the
>remark that it looks like "staining from the dark areas bleeding
>into the print."
>
>However, there is so much left unsaid about your working procedures
>that I would need to know to provide more useful information to you.

OK, here's my proceedure: 2 minutes development in ammonium citrate,
a minute in water, four minutes in EDTA, one minute in fix, one
minute in half strength hypo clear, fifteen minute wash.

Maybe I need another minute in the EDTA?

>About the EDTA, what size were the prints you cleared. 7 prints of
>8X10 size or smaller should not exhaust a liter of EDTA.

The coated area is about five by seven probably. The image area is 4x5.

But some solutions don't seem to have a long shelf life, regardless
of how many prints have been through them.

-shannon